San Diego Divorce & Family Law Litigation Attorney
Mr. Sunnen has been practicing law since 2007 and is a Certified Family Law Specialist who also serves as Minor’s Counsel for children involved in high conflict custody cases. As a member of the State Bar of California, the San Diego County Bar Association, Christopher J. Sunnen is highly regarded as top of his field. From 2021 – 2023, he was selected as the Face of Divorce Law by San Diego Magazine and voted San Diego’s Best by the San Diego Union Tribune Readers.
Mr. Sunnen has extensive experience in the litigation of domestic violence restraining orders, complex, substantial wealth and income cases, including cases involving property characterization and apportionment, premarital, and marital agreements, and cases involving high earner and high standard of living child and spousal support.
Mr. Sunnen knows that his clients need a trusted and zealous advocate to help them navigate the complex and emotional process of the issues they are facing. With over sixteen years of experience as a trial litigator he has worked to protect his client’s rights both in and out of the courtroom and provides solutions to many challenging cases at a high level of professionalism.
He handles all facets of family law issues through mediation and trial including, child custody and support, spousal support, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, dissolution of marriage, domestic violence restraining orders, property valuation and division of property, and post-divorce issues.
Mr. Sunnen has been in private practice for over sixteen years, focusing on litigation in family court, federal court, tax court, bankruptcy court, and before various administrative agencies. Prior to his time in private practice, Mr. Sunnen was a clerk for Federal Magistrate David Noce in the Eighth Circuit.
Mr. Sunnen graduated from law school at Washington University in St. Louis, where he was awarded “Best Brief” in Moot Court and was a three-year member of the Dean’s List, recognizing academic excellence.
Prior to his career as an attorney, Mr. Sunnen was a former Park Ranger, Mr. Sunnen has been, and is active in both the private and public sectors of the outdoor industry and has worked with many Fortune 500 companies to promote sustainable public lands appreciation, education and protection.
Mr. Sunnen is also the former head of a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that he founded and operated for a three-year period; and currently serves on the board of directors of another 501(c)(3) organization.
Areas Of Practice
- Divorce/Legal Separation/Military Divorce/Collaborative Divorce
- Child Custody/Child Support/Relocation – Move Away Orders
- Spousal Support
- Property Division/Business Valuation
- Prenuptial/Postnuptial Agreements
- Restraining Orders (Civil/Domestic)
- Contempt Proceedings
- Post Decree Modifications
- California, 2007
- U.S. District Court Southern District of California, 2007
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2018
- U.S. Tax Court
- Washington University School of Law, St. Louis, Missouri
- Juris Doctorate
- Honors: “Best Brief” in Moot Court
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Washington University, St. Louis, Washington
- Bachelor of Arts
- Major: Political Science
- Major: History
Current Employment Position(s)
Professional Associations And Memberships
- San Diego Family Law Bar Association
- State Bar of California
- San Diego County Bar Association
- San Diego Chamber of Commerce
- Elite Lawyer
- Lawyers of Distinction
- Association of Certified Family Law Specialists
- Honorable David D. Noce, a federal magistrate in the Eighth Circuit, Clerk